Have your boxing gloves been stinking? Well, keep intact to learn the right and proper ways to clean smelly boxing gloves for overall freshness and longevity. Proper hygiene and care of boxing gloves are vital in deterring odor emissions.
The stinking smell from the gloves emerges from bacteria breeding; thus, cleaning your boxing gloves using an anti-bacterial spray can quickly zap germs/ bacteria. The saltwater solution is another approach to get rid of the rotten stinky-feet smell off the gloves. Put in place cleaning tricks such as freezing the gloves and using baking soda or apple cider vinegar to kill the smelly odor.
- DEODORIZE ALL SPORTS EQUIPMENT SAFELY AND EFFECTIVELY - Deodorize football, hockey, lacrosse and...
- CLEAN ALL YOGA, GYM AND FITNESS EQUIPMENT PROPERLY - A multipurpose spray to clean spin bikes,...
- ELIMINATE ODORS FROM ALL FOOTWEAR - Safely eliminates nasty odors from shoes, cleats, boots, sandals...
Regular hand washing or machine wash might not work out thoroughly in eliminating the bad smell. Thus, keep reading if you are interested in learning the tricks to eliminate the malodorous smell from the gloves
How to Clean Smelly Boxing Gloves / How to Clean Leather Boxing Gloves
Leather boxing gloves are prone to stinking odors that emerge from bacteria breeding. Leather gloves are a suitable bacterial breeding ground because of sweat moisture. Users tend to keep the gloves in the bag immediately after training hence promoting bacterial growth.
The dark and warm environments in the gloves trigger bacteria to thrive, causing a stinky smell. However, keeping your boxing gloves clean and dry deters the development of an awful smell. Below are some of the ways to clean your leather gloves in order to smell fresh;
Related read: Rival boxing gloves review
1. Use an anti-bacterial spray
The anti-bacterial spray works magic on smelly boxing gloves. The spray zap bacteria and germs hence fixing the stinky smell. Key steps are as follows:
- Unwrap your leather gloves
- Spray the gloves with an anti-bacterial spray
- Place the gloves in an open and ventilated area to dry
2. Soak the leather boxing gloves in saline water
The saltwater soak approach is an effective and surefire way of eliminating stinky odor. Soak your leather gloves in the saline solution overnight to break down bacteria and dissolve it. The solution rid the gloves from the stink leaving behind fresh-smelling gloves.
- Add saline water into a spacious empty container
- Place your leather gloves in the solution
- Leave the gloves immersed in the solution overnight
- Let the gloves dry in a ventilated area the following day
Related read: Best mma gloves for beginners
3. Use apple cider vinegar
As a versatile product, apple cider vinegar can be used to clean boxing gloves and remove the funky smell. Apple cider vinegar is a beneficial, effective, and super easy cleaning method for overall boxing gloves freshness. Steps to follow include;
- Pour one tablespoon of apple cider vinegar onto a clean towel
- Rub it inside your leather gloves thoroughly
- Let the boxing gloves dry overnight in a well-ventilated space
- The apple cider vinegar should have eliminated the stinky smell by morning but if the smell persists, repeat the process to achieve desired odor.
4. Freeze the gloves overnight
Although the cleaning method could be termed odd, it is very effective in killing bacteria. The process entails;
- Put your leather boxing gloves in a plastic bag
- Place them in a freezer overnight
- Remove the gloves from the freezer in the morning and leave them in a dry ventilated area.
- If the gloves are extra stinky or still smelly, leave them in the freezer for two nights before leaving them to air-dry.
5. Use baking soda
Baking soda has been used for centuries to kill musty odor from surfaces and fabric. Sprinkle baking soda in dry gloves to alleviate fetid odor.
- Take a pinch of baking soda and sprinkle it into the leather gloves
- Allow the powder to sit for several hours
- Remove the baking soda by shaking the gloves upside down.
Also read: Winning boxing gloves
6. Stuffing method
Stuffing boxing gloves air them out, preventing bacterial growth. Everyday items used in stuffing gloves include paper towels, newspapers, or glove dogs. Stuffing items used in gloves aid in drawing out bacteria.
The stuffing method is a perfect odor mitigation method, especially when paired with other cleaning techniques.
7. Cleaning Leather Boxing Gloves Exteriors
Cleaning the exteriors is an imperative aspect because there are chances that the gloves may have been exposed to the counterpart’s sweat and blood. Clean the exteriors after sparring by creating a gentle cleaning solution of mild soap and room temperature water.
The soap solution effectively kills bacteria and removes impurities that can counteract the natural ph. level of the boxing gloves. Heavily stained gloves might require the use of disinfecting wipe rather than a mild soap solution.
Alcohol-based solutions are not suitable for cleaning leather surfaces as they damage the fabric.
- Dip a clean cloth into the soap solution
- Wringer the cloth to prevent overexposing the leather gloves to moisture
- Wipe down the entire exterior surface area of the leather – cover all areas of the boxing gloves
- Rub-down the exterior using a fully dry cloth to remove any remaining moisture
- Dry unnecessary moisture on the boxing gloves before storing
More boxing gloves articles: Everlast MMA gloves reviewed
8. Clean Boxing Glove Interiors
Boxing gloves interiors are commonly overlooked or mismanaged during the cleaning process. It is complicated to turn a boxing glove inside out for cleaning.
Boxing glove interiors are prone to sweat and moisture. Thus, cleaning interiors should focus on targeting killing bacteria emerging from sweat and achieving dry glove interiors.
Proper interior cleaning should minimize the permeability of harmful impurities into the protective padding of the gloves. Disinfect the interiors by placing the disinfectant spray nozzle into the glove opening to ensure no spray pumps land on the exterior.
The process of drying the boxing gloves interiors is crucial as natural airflow is restricted into the gloves. Insert a dryer sheet or scrunched newspapers into the gloves to help remove excess moisture from the interiors. Do not have your gloves under extended direct sunlight exposure.
It is vital not to introduce any unnatural heat to rush interior drying. However, if your hairdryer has a fully relaxed air setting, you can promote airflow into your damp glove interiors.
9. Storing your leather boxing gloves
Ensure you keep your boxing gloves in a cool, dry environment. Maximize airflow into the interiors to prevent potential mildew formation. Consider leveraging deodorizing agents to minimize the formation of unwanted smells within the leather boxing gloves.
Unlace your boxing gloves straps to enhance air circulation in glove interiors.
Preventive Care to Deter Putrid Odor in Boxing Gloves
a) Dry the boxing gloves completely
Let the gloves dry thoroughly after every use. Dry gloves alleviate the likelihood of bacteria thriving. Hang your boxing gloves in a well-ventilated area. More so, air-dry them in the sun.
b) Don’t put your gloves in your bag
Make it a habit not to put your boxing gloves in your bag immediately after use. Instead, place them in a plastic bag to minimize exposure to damp conditions. Remove them from the plastic bag and let them air-dry. When completely dry, now you can place them in the bag.
c) Use hand wraps
They are a great accessory that soaks up your sweat, minimizing your glove interiors’ exposure to moisture. They act like a sponge and absorb moisture from padding.
d) Wash your hands
The preventive measure is imperative in deterring the accumulation of bacteria and rancid smells. Hands are agents to carry bacteria and germs, especially when not washed properly. Wash your hands and dry them thoroughly before slipping on your boxing gloves.
e) Wipe gloves after every use
Wiping alleviates the likelihood of accumulation of stinky smell in your gloves. Wipe inside and exteriors using a clean towel after use. Wiping minimizes moisture content hence attenuating conditions needed for bacteria growth.
Related read: MMA gloves for heavy bags